Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Colombo Update


Its been a while since I made colombo. The shortage of fresh meat was the main reason, but maybe a lack of inspiration, too.

I really should have read my post about colombo before I began. I had worked out all these problems and had come up with some good ideas, all of which I forgot to try (except for the tomatoes). In fact, it seems I began from scratch.

I hadnt been really pleased with the way the pork was eating - a bit rough. So instead, I tried making it with chicken. I had intended to de-bone some drumsticks, but didnt have the time and just cooked it on the bone. Chicken seems to be a vast improvement on pork: it simply tastes better with the sauce and the turmeric colors the meat into a nice dandelion/brown whereas the pork took on a brown/gray color.

I added two tomatoes (skinned and seeded) at the very end just a few minutes before I turned off the burner. It was the acidic note I was looking for.

Previously, I served my colombo with rice. Since there was none at the house, I roasted some potatoes with a bit of olive oil as the accompaniment. I reserved two cubes to put in with the chicken to thicken the sauce.

No eggplants, no christophines. But I did add a hard boiled egg. I dont think thats ever done with a traditional colombo, but its common in Indian curries.

The dish turns out quite well, even without all the intended improvements - the fresh ginger, the granny smith apple. The meal left me feeling inspired; I think I'll try making it again soon.

1 comment: