Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug, from Guadeloupe!

M. and I spent Christmas day on the beach. Having spent last Christmas in Guadeloupe (a sort of test-run for moving here), this was not my first warm Christmas. Its obviously quite different. But once you get used to the idea, it can be rather pleasant. Actually, I think most people who are able to have a warm Christmas are pretty smug about it. There were a good number of tourists on the beach, and more than one group came to the beach with a red and white Santa Claus hat and took turns taking pictures with the hat on (most likely to send back to friends in much colder climes).

Above, the beach at Petit Havre and myself as Santa's helper (scanned in from my table place card for Christmas eve dinner)

That was the Merry Christmas from Guadeloupe. The bah humbug came later, when we arrived home.

No water, again. How is it possible for our water to be cut on December 25th? Of all days! Somebody has to go to work to actually turn off the spigot, no? M. rinsed off at the beach, but I - stupidly - thought I could just shower at home. Not wanting to go to bed salty, I opted for the water of last resort: the showers at our local beach. I put on a clean swimsuit, brought my soap, and had my shower...with the waves crashing in the darkness behind me, the only light coming from the headlights of our car. Class! While it was a bit chilly, the shower was not half as bad as I thought. M. did note that I would never be able to shower outdoors, in December, back in New York. Indeed.

One must be grateful on Christmas. I was pretty grateful that it started pouring after we were both in the car, driving back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment